Monday, April 26, 2004
Kill Bill 2

Kill Bill: Volume 2

Mommy Kills Daddy

Tarantino finishes his therapy session by showing Uma what it means to be a natural woman. And, this time, it’s a Western!

Comments

What I love about this piece is that it makes actually seeing the film totally secondary to the experience of reading the interpretation—you want to see it only to see if it matches what Conard’s article tells you, not to see what happens after Kill Bill Volume One.

Posted by publisher on 20 May 04 at 08:22 PM

I thought KB2 was one of the best films I’d ever seen but hated the ending. This piece makes sense of it and the fact that it does suggests that MC is onto something here. However, I’d be interested to know whether he (or others) think QT did this deliberately or purely unconsciously…

Posted by Ravi Holy on 23 Jul 04 at 05:24 AM

Somewhat like “publisher,” I experienced a real thrill in reading Dr. Conrad’s interpretation, several months after seeing KB2. I did enjoy the movie the first time, but in retrospect, on a pretty shallow level. Hey, that’s why we’ve got these highly educated people writing these wonderful reviews! I can hardly wait to see the movie again!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 24 Dec 04 at 08:40 PM

Mark,

I thought your argument was remarkable and thought provoking. I myself despised KILL BILL (Volume 1 & 2) because of its tangential nature. I wrote it off as a vanity project. Now, I can see it’s much more. Still, very much a vainity project since, as you say, it’s Tarantino’s psychotherapy sessions revealed through cinema pastiche, but the psychology made the film denser, and therefore more interesting. While still not a Tarantino fan, these articles make me want to watch KILL BILL with a keener eye.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 25 May 05 at 05:53 PM

I thank you so much for that interpretation: after having watched both movies for the sixth time this january, I got suddenly enlighted and made quite the same conclusions about the female role in this movie, you did. But no one wanted to believe me that Kill Bill contains more than a strong woman on a revenge! Now, after I found that great site and your essay, I find my position a bit more affirmed.

The (very general and in your essay very important) god-like father plot haven’t come to my mind, yet but is worth beeing investigated further… (I was more watching the film from the point of view of feminism and women pressed in a men’s role, like carreer…)

What I missed in your interpretation and what you should do (if you haven’t done yet) is focussing on the entire psychology in this incredible finale, which begins when “mommy” opens the door and gets shot down by her daughter. In these scenes before the final fight is such a subtile violence, while the child is sleeping, that I felt remembered to a “marital argument” in which the husband is a selfish ass.

Bill is presented us as a civilised human who is indeed so gentle that he even cuts off the crust of the sandwich. But isn’t he just acting? I don’t know if someone else feels the same - but to me he seemed to be that kind of man who tries show everybody outside (and himself) what a do-gooder he is. But as soon as something isn’t happening like he wants it to happen he can get extremly brutal and violent as he proved during the wedding ceremony. You like this guy? Of course we do, cause he wants us to like him. But we should also be aware that when we make him think we betray him (like Kiddo did in his opinion) then we should better wish never to be born. That’s exactly how mafia works (at least in The Godfather) and how it works on the street.  And as his father is Esteban Vihaio we can assume bill learned this simple way of “ruling” from this small criminal pimp.

I don’t want to write too much, but I think it’s really worth it watching the movie also under the aspect how a woman smacked up by her boyfriend tries to leave him behind forever and the final scenes show how hard (for the woman) this can be. She becomes so weak all over sudden and Bill continues being violent to her and we don’t even recognise this at first: But he shots her (phiscal violence) when he’s injecting the drug (psychological violence).

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 30 Aug 05 at 11:54 AM

Also listen to Bill’s apologies it really reminds of the cheap excuses some men use after smacking someone! So, I encourage you to think about these aspect as well, next time you see the movie. And perhaps you feel the same…

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 30 Aug 05 at 11:55 AM