Friday, April 18, 2003
Jack Nicholson in The Shining

The Shining

Jack of All Trades, Master of None

One man’s struggle to support a family on one income in an economy that’s moved beyond his worldview.

Comments

Or, you know, it was ghosts.

Posted by Riley on 28 Nov 03 at 01:59 AM

By far the most eloquent explanation of the film I’ve ever read.  Nail on the head, kubrick couldn’t of said it better.

ps.  Stanley Kubrick could of said it better, but….he didn’t.

Posted by MrTorrance on 21 Sep 04 at 04:21 PM

some details related american history
why Jack uses an axe to kill .  A hotel built on “Red” skins old cemetary and decorated with indians motives. Indians ghosts are taking revenge in the Kubrick’  eye.
American society is now lonely and scared in a large continent.ıt s not only about economics.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 14 Jan 05 at 11:18 PM

damn that was a GOOD piece.

People nowadays (i considering myself as one of them) find it hard to understand what’s so scary on this film if it is only about ghosts. Some find it scary, of course (after all, there are many cheesy and simple films now that DO succeed in the box offices and in scarying people).

I can now understand how this film it’s a Kubrick’s film. Before i’d seen the american version, i thought it was just a not-so-special horror film that would still scary some folks nowadays (specially with that soundtrack).

But it’s hard to see these kind of minutiae (such as clothes, jobs and family relations as representations of that decade’s social-economical situation and how it acts on Jack. It loses a certain bridge with reality and a certain understanding of what’s going on in screen). “Time, Image and the Spetacle kills all referentials and relations with the ‘real’”, says a friend of mine when we talked about this film.

ps: i live in Brazil, where we have the cut version (I think it’s the same version they have in Europe) and a lot of these tiny details get lost. The film becomes “either ghosts or a psycho, or both”...

“i’m not scared of ghosts! i’m afraid of the low-paid psycho who believes in them!”

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 03 Jun 05 at 08:45 PM

Good day I say. Good day!!
    I am emphatically “awe” inspired by your intellect regarding the “elemental” analysis which you exhibited.  I have viewed this film only a handful of times, but earlier on this evening I tuned into the film which was showing on A & E.  I immediately stumbled upon the scene in which “Lloyd” began serving Jack the “Jack Daniel’s.”  It instantly occurred to me what the symbolic inference might be which was dauntingly dripping from this film.  I put into context the inspiring architecture instilled in this “monstrus and never ending” hotel.  The distinct realism which drew my curiousity to the detail was translated by the “size” of the building, the location (mountains), the agreement which Jack had committed to, and the circumstances which surrounded his family life.
  I immediately began searching the internet for the symbolic translation I “hoped” I had discovered in the film.  I though I may be crazy, that I was only translating what “might” have possibly been encompased in the film.  As I sought a translation for a few minutes, it had begun to appear that people were giving into the popular belief that the symbolic gestures being referenced were the instilled demons in the mind of “Jack,” only as a result of a so-called haunted mansion.  I could not get beyond this.  I was sure there was a greater truth and understanding beyond a potential racial interpretation and the like.
  How did Jack end up in this “magnificent” structure, large enough for the most “extreme” possibilities.  The development of a structure, built on the prosperous mountains located in the vast wilderness of Indian country.  The souls which must have been gleeming in anguish, the blood, sweat and tears which gave birth to a “capital” invention, allowed by the expanding sight of “wealth”, derived from inherent desire.  Jack could only reap what his mind could sew, in essence, it was “the house which jack built.”
    The “hotel” was a magnificent example of the potential ability one can thrive on in a “capital” economic structure.  Jack’s mind begins to escape him throughout the film, at times an eerie feeling, but “realistic” none the less.  Kubrick’s own belief system was based upon “atheism.”  He understood a world directed by desire, with the lack of attempt for the human soul outside of the “immediate” being (human).
    I thank you for expressing your though in the symbolic outlook which is portrayed in “The Shining.”  The film was originated from one of the most “conscious” minds in modern day.  Stephen King had developed the idea for this story after listening to John Lennon’s “Instant Karma.”  I immediately listened to the song prior to discovering your review.  My thoughts on the symbolic gestures became ever clear throughout my listening experience.  “We reap what we sew!!”  If we intrinsicly believe and feel a particular way, but are not able to express our thoughts or feelings for the fear of rejection and failure, then our conscious visions in everyday life will begin to take on heavy burdens, inducing a feeling of the world “collapsing” upon us.
    In summary, the elements of the conscious and subconscious being can drastically weigh on our reasoned emotions.  If we internalize our fear and are suddenly capsulalted with the external presence of that which has been internally sought, then the result may be a breakdown of emotion and a complete restructure of what we want, but may not be able to obtain, as a result of our existing realistic circumstances.  In closing, I find this film to be fantastic in the interpretation of the nature of thought.  Only few could connect to this feeling of emotions and then directly convey them into a modern reality.  Steven King, Stanly Kubrick and Jack Nicholson should be remembered for “history” to always remember.  I could go on and on in the depiction which I was able to perceive, but I’m tired and looking forward to my intrinsic internal sleep!!

Thanks, and happy living!!!

Thank you!!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02 Nov 08 at 03:06 AM

I thought at first this was a leftist jab at capitalism. After reading the whole thing I have to say I’m extremely impressed and that you may be on to something. Going to point this out to my friends if I get the chance.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 22 Feb 13 at 08:08 PM

Dukey, the world needs more leftist jabs at capitalism, till the system’s the way of the dodo.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 30 Jun 14 at 08:56 AM