Wednesday, January 05, 2011
Knight and Day posterInception poster

Knight and Day vs. Inception

More Than This

Knight and Day delivers all the profundity that Inception only promises.

Comments

Wait, so true or false: would inception still be as shitty if the totem had stopped spinning? Seems a tad suspect that such an insignificant event could topple all the philosophical value of the film.

On another level, I know this piece is intended to be polemic, but I think it is a bit of a cheap shot to say that the impending negative consequences facing the characters in Inception have no gravity.

Also, I think you would do well to adhere to your own ideology and recognize that in the world of subjective truth, objectivity is no less legitimate than any school of thought that believes in truth as an a posteriori realization.

Given this, imagine the consequences facing those within the world of inception, living a theoretically infinite life with no escape from the unfortunate and ever-constraining limits of perception is indeed, from the view of an objectivist, perhaps the worst possible fate.

Another thing I will say with caution because you seem to know your philosophical shit, and I’m just beginning to digest some of the seminal works within the study. But yeah, I wonder if you understand the truest and best understood version of objectivism. This is in my opinion, is found in the views of Kierkegaard (granted this is an individual whose work lends itself to a variety of interpretations—perhaps intentionally so). Kierkegaard accepted the practical reality of a posteriori realization as a facet of perception.

But in order to temper and properly direct a posteriori realizations to generally positive and desirable ends, it is neccessary for one to adhere to belief in the existence of a a priori truth—headin’ back to the forms Classical Greek style! We keep gettin’ closer, it keeps gettin’ further away, regardless, you just can’t stop believing in it; all about tha journey brah, but even Bhuddists have Nirvana right?

This said man, I think the jist of my post is basically, ignoring your polemics, remind you that the debate between a posterior and a priori rages on and will always rage on. You could have made a much stronger case for Knight and Day were it solely based on issues concerning cinema tradition. I get that your article is also very possibly a series of articles within articles, but this begs the question, bro: why say something that no one will here? Sounds a bit Nolanian to me.

In conclusion, look for my puns, I really want your approval

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 18 Apr 11 at 03:30 PM

Knight and Day a superior film you say?

I don’t know about the rest of you but when I watched that film I felt like I’d seen it before. Same comedic spy/citizen with big explosions and linear plot line.

When I saw Inception, I left the cinema and felt like I’d seen something never been done before, a story line that actively engaged my brain and was so groundbreaking that it continues to stimulate my imagination to this day.

I can’t, for a second, believe that you would differ from the aforementioned opinion.

Interesting read though…

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 18 Apr 11 at 07:26 PM

I felt like I was reading Confederacy of Dunces. I mean that in the nicest possible way. :)

I was also surprised at the lack of comparisons between Shutter Island and Inception when the latter was released. They’re extremely similar films even before you break out the textbooks. I started writing something on it, but abandoned it when I got busy. The piece was becoming primarily about SI, anyway, since I found it the more interesting of the two films.

Thanks for the read. Good to see it generating discussion!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12 May 11 at 07:20 AM

Can’t speak to Knight & Day, but thank you for finally giving Inception the horsewhipping it deserved.  Try to feel one little thing for any character in this movie.  Just try.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 25 May 11 at 05:11 PM

Yo! :D

I actually found this website when I just finished Pulp Fiction and decided to find different interpretations of it. And your Pulp Fiction article was awesome.

I have not fully read this article yet, but I skimmed through it, and I will not say you are incorrect, but instead you simply have a vastly different view of “Inception” than I do. It is, indeed, one of my favorite movies. It is such because the movie is not exactly “evil”, but it examines the darker side of human nature while Knight and Day seems to look at the brighter side of things. I think this is evident in the color tones of both movies. Inception, for the most part, is a large, dark blend of nightmarish blue (outside of scenes like the snowy mountain lol).

But again, I haven’t read this entire article. And I will come back to it ;)

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05 Jun 11 at 05:03 AM

Ignore the thing about me saying you did the Pulp Fiction thing. Its 5:15am and I havent slept xD. I didn’t realize until now that someone else wrote that. Off to sleep!!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05 Jun 11 at 05:16 AM

well I do a search on shutter island, and look who comes up. Sure would like to hear your expanded thoughts on this movie, wwwiz….I definitely have some of my own and from your brief comments above I think we’re on the same page…

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 11 Aug 11 at 02:15 PM

To start
Thank you for explaining why i hated inception. I could never fully put into words. however i do feel like you are trolling me with this knight and day stuff. but you have been successful i will rent it.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 18 Aug 11 at 12:01 AM

I can’t believe I’ve never seen this website before.  These are some of the best parodies of modern ‘lit crit’ I’ve seen, and this article is my favourite so far.  From the namedropping (People calling upon Lacan always makes me laugh), the buzzwords, and the insanely flowery use of language, everything is here.  I’m subjected to this kind of nonsense quite often from a friend with a masters in Eng. Lit., and I’m always amused how utterly predictable these kind of articles usually are.  You have their cant down to a tee.  Although I’m laughing right now, I’m also sad, because it just points out to me again the conformity present in the way that modern critics are taught.  If it’s not at least 95% in line with the current postmodern, left wing, gender politics, privilege obsessed professors, it’s invalid in their eyes.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 10 Apr 12 at 12:11 AM

what a bore of an article. you convince me not.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 01 May 12 at 06:32 AM

seriously, what the hell are you talking about, and why are you bothering?  your review, while clearly thoughtful (that is, chock full of lots of thoughts), is not nearly as interesting or engaging as that cool scene with the spinning hallway.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 24 Jun 12 at 01:22 PM

“Copromancy, like all the other -mancys, is a branch of magic, and magic is of central concern to our adventure.”
Copromancy - Divination using feces, for those of you who didn’t bother looking it up. Well played, Artislav. ‘Bout sums up myopinion of Inception, too.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 24 Jun 12 at 02:43 PM

Their/there/they’re… Ouch!

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 24 Jun 12 at 03:32 PM

After reading this entire thing, all I can say is, and with all the sincerity in my heart:

You just didn’t get INCEPTION.

Bummer.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 25 Jun 12 at 02:29 PM

This fact means that within each individual mission, their can be no unbroken connection ‘...

should be “there”