Friday, June 06, 2003
Tom Cruise wears black in Minority ReportNeo in his black cassock from the Matrix Reloaded

Priests in Black

Anderton vs. Anderson

Neo may dress like a priest, but Tom Cruise as John Anderton is more like the real thing.

Comments

In what sense does the sex scene play into Neo expressing his humanity? Up until Neo meets the Architect there is a reserve about him implied from his recurring visions of Trinity’s demise. But away from the ship, away from the matrix Neo seems to let himself go. Judging from their behavior before they get away from it all, Neo and Trinity were living chaste.

Posted by mallis on 06 Jun 03 at 01:45 PM

Mr. Mallison,

I believe the suggestion might be, given the funky dirrrty groove scene post-morpheus speach in Zion, that humans to be humans must give in to the animal instincts of love, instead of being cold, rational, logical, or more like the machines.

Posted by JosiahQ on 11 Jun 03 at 09:29 AM

This really all boils down to keanu reaves being a sucky actor.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12 Jun 03 at 02:43 PM

He may be a sucky actor, but he does know kung-fu, and he does love Trinity so damn much. You’ve gotta give the man props for that at least.

Posted by JosiahQ on 12 Jun 03 at 06:42 PM

Compairing Tom Cruise’s acting to Keanu’s acting is like comparing apples to apples but atleast Tom was backed by a story written by Philip K. Dick dealing with a character displaying the basic human quality of redemption and self forgiveness, Neo is just Ted Theadore Logan with a grimmace. But I still think the Matrix was worth the ticket price.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 29 Jun 03 at 04:36 AM

I commend thomas00seven on a HI-larious comment. I also think that the author of this article makes a great observation on inner vs. outward conflict. I hadn’t even thought of why I felt so empty when the movie ended. And that’s just it…Neo hasn’t changed for the worse or for the better. He just realized some new nifty super-powers within the Matrix and those that extend beyond the Matrix. Movie 3 has some serious character development defecits to fulfill.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02 Jul 03 at 12:07 PM